How to retain new employees?
The typical process for hiring new employees goes something like this. Your human resources (HR) department works hard to find the perfect candidates and convey the benefits, bonuses, positive culture, and career growth of working for your company. Your HR representative offers the best candidate a position and the candidate accepts and signs the offer letter.
Demonstrate They Are Valued
Demonstrating to new employees how important and valuable they are can go a long way. Employment is a two-way relationship, especially for highly sought-after individuals. Although many companies officially use probationary periods with new employees, new employees also decide whether they like working for their new employer. After all, from the employee’s job search, his or her resume is most likely still on social media and in recruiters’ hands. So how can you keep them engaged with your company and job?
Make Them Feel Welcomed
Consider some of these affordable suggestions:
- Send or give the new employee a welcome card that communicates how happy you are to have them as part of the team.
- Before the new employee’s first day of work, set up their workstation. It can be frustrating to be unable to contribute because equipment isn’t ready. The longer it takes to set up, the more you communicate that your new employee is simply not a priority.
- In addition to having a company list with titles and phone numbers, provide a list of the appropriate contacts for common questions, such as the following:
- Expense reports, general accounting questions
- Ordering supplies
- Technical expertise
- Administrative questions
- Local businesses and directions
- Ask the new employee to speak with several of their new coworkers. You may even want to create a mentorship program to encourage seasoned employees to partner with new employees to teach them about the company culture as well as the job itself.
Companies spend a lot of time and money recruiting employees, paying referral fees, and hosting company functions. Being proactive about the small things that make the best first impression can make a significant difference in the success of each employee and each project.
Do you have more questions about onboarding new staff members? Contact us today to learn how we can help.
Why Atlantic Payroll Partners
The biggest payroll companies probably won’t have time for your business. It’s that simple, you’ll be a number. At Atlantic Payroll Partners, you’ll be the opposite. We’ll know more than your name; we’ll know the names of your children and their birthday’s as well. We will know you.
We’ve been helping Florida business by managing their payroll and providing workers' compensation quotes for ten years. We help keep payroll cost affordable by provided transparent PEO payroll quotes that allow you to plan your budget accordingly. Like the big payroll companies, you can manage your payroll and payroll timekeeping with us, while reaping the benefits of PEO risk management.
Thinking about payroll outsourcing can be scary. Make sure you know what to expect from payroll outsourcing providers; to make the best decision for your business. In addition to offering payroll, and workers' comp quote we offer: Human Resource consultations, Accounting services, and benefits such as, 401ks and Healthcare plans.